Fishing report for the week of August 19, 2012.: , ,
Fishing Report Posted: August 19, 2012

Brought to you by

[ Lake Erie & Tributaries Fishing Report ]

Posted by Capt. Walt Ermansons on August 19, 2012 at 07:51:47:

Another AWESOME, AWESOME week for us! We were still fighting a bit of bad weather woes off and on this past week but I have no complaints at all as far as that goes about the quality of the fishing that we experienced aboard ďThe TrophyĒ all the days that we got out. In fact, we had a perfect score card of perfect limits everyday last week and back early for lunch and cocktails on each and every outing. Pretty good considering I was even loaded up with parties of five people on most of those days as well . Listening to everyone else cry on the radio all week was really puzzling to me because really nothing seemed to change at all to me after our on and off again high winds. The fish are way out, they are way deep, and WAY hungry !

I left off last week wondering if we would even get out on Sunday. Well, we split the gap at 5:00am in the pitch dark on Sunday morning with the spot lights and flood lights just a blazing as the waves and spray blew completely over the bow of the boat with some good ones even blowing over the hard top! With the boatís radar safely guiding our way, we settled in for a 22 mile boat boat ride out in the northwest 3 to 5 foot seas. After arriving at my target starting spot that I had in mind, we commenced to setting lines. The same lures, the same old beat up colors, the same counts on the line counters. Same everything. Including the same GREAT results ! Another limit catch for my party of 4 that particular day plus 4 bonus Steelhead Trout as well for our efforts. We kept just busy enough where we didnít even mind or really even notice the big chop which we had put on the stern at that point and just trolled downstream along with the wind and the waves. And by the time we finished up, the winds and waves had eased significantly and it was smooth sailing all the way back home.

The rest of the week was uneventful and very productive up until Friday where we got another shot of very heavy north wind that shut most all operators down. I myself sent a group packing early in the morning but picked up a spur of the moment trip in the late afternoon when the lake finally started to lay down. We shot out in the now 3 to 4 footers and picked off yet again another fine mess of Walleyes. What a day after a dismal and disappointing start and what a finish after most were just wishing they were fishing. Sometimes the ball does bounce your way. Anyway, by a round and about way, I got my day in with really great fishing to boot and not another boat insight. It just donít get much better then that! Still, the pain at the pump when we return continues to haunt us as we keep making these insane long runs, many times in pretty heavy head seas where you can literally watch the fuel meter dropping right before your eyes. Disheartening. I just wrote the marina a check for over two grand for gasoline for only about a weeks worth of trips. Thatís a lot of gas at a ridiculous exuberant marina price. That will wipe the smile off of any captains face, regardless of how many or how big your catch was. Plain sucks. Thank you sooooooo much to those that went above and beyond at the end of the day when settling up. You know who you are!

And finally Saturday arrives. My least favorite day of the week with all of the weekend warriors, tournaments going on and all the part time charter operators out there. Itís almost unbelievable to travel that far out and not see a thing in site between shore and the now well publicized offshore fishing grounds and see hundreds of boats when you arrive all zig zagging every which way in one huge chaotic cluttered mess. This particular Saturday was especially bad with super great weather and a tournament going on plus the word being out that the Walleyes were biting. And that they were. It was probably the fastest day of the week for us aboard ďThe TrophyĒ! A real burn with the Walleyes coming for us just about ďas fast as we could goĒ once again. In a matter of about 2 hours actual fishing time, we had captured our 30 needed Walleyes for the day and were able to leave that mess of boats behind us for the others to fight through. Just another great day for us. I know this pace canít hold up forever but Iím savoring it while it lasts. My guys donít seem to mind it either! Now if only those fish would move back in by 8 or 10 miles, it would be perfect ! CYA next week...

Capt. Walt

*I am reminding all of my upcoming trips that we REALLY need to get off of the dock by 5:00am. These central basin big Walleyes in this real clear water are really squirrely and 90% of the time they feed like crazy right at dawn and then it drops off dramatically with each passing hour. WE DO NOT WANT TO MISS OUT ON THIS OPPORTUNITY if you want to catch a nice load ! Itís really just that simple. Also please MAKE SURE that you have your fishing license ahead of time before arriving in the morning. There are no provisions for licenses at the marina. Any questions, call my mobile # 216-387-2656

[ Lake Erie & Tributaries Fishing Report ]