West Erie County, DWCO Randy Leighton, firstname.lastname@example.org |
Perch are becoming plentiful and are schooling in 40 - 50 feet of water west of the Walnut Creek Access and North of Godfrey Run. Limits are getting more common. Live shiners off the perch rigs are the only way to go for these jumbos.
Perch and rock bass have hitting well off the North and South piers along the Erie channel. There have been reports of some perch being caught east of the channel near the second and third marker buoys. Good catches are also coming in from North of the point at Presque Isle in 44' of water.
Panfishing has been good along the South side of the bay along the bayfront.
Walleye action is picking up with a number of limits now being brought in. Crawler harnesses are great for the most consistent catches but some days it takes the stickbaits or spoons. Daybreak seems to be the peak for walleye action right now.
The current Lake Erie water temperature of Toledo is 72 degrees, off Cleveland, 63 degrees, and off the Port of Erie, 69 degrees.
Launch Ramp Etiquette:
1) Be sure all required safety equipment and registration are on board. Load your food, fishing gear and other equipment at home and or in the parking lot but most definitely before you get to the ramp.
2) Ensure tongue is securely fastened to ball hitch, remove tie downs.
3) Check condition of battery, motor and angle of drive unit. Know that your boat will start before arriving at the ramps. Nothing is more frustrating then a boat with mechanical failure blocking a ramp. If you are unable to start your boat at the launch area, do not attempt to do repairs while blocking the ramp. Instead, remove the boat from the water as a courtesy to others.
4) Ensure boat plug(s) are firmly in place.
5) Move to the ramp and launch. Check drive unit prior to backing down ramp to be sure it will not bottom out and that the power trim is working properly if applicable. (Having a lookout or someone in the boat is helpful)
6) If possible, use two people to launch your boat - the driver and the boat tender.
7) Unhook bow safety restraint, power or pull off trailer. Be courteous and wait your turn. Unless you are alone, it really shouldn't be necessary to tie your boat to the launch docks.
8) Run blower, start boat, move to the docks for passenger pickup (courtesy dock). The courtesy docks at the Walnut Creek Access launch are at the South end of the basin. (If alone, secure boat quickly and move vehicle off ramp.) Be courteous, the less time you spend on the ramp or at the dock the more other boaters will appreciate you.
9) If you have an assistant, instruct the person tending the boat to move it far enough away from the ramp and adjacent dock that it doesn't impede other boaters launching or loading. Do not allow small children to act as "boat tenders".
11) After the boat is on the trailer, secure the bow safety restraint, and move the vehicle and trailer to the tie down area so you don't impede traffic trying to launch or retrieve.
12) Carefully tie down your vehicle, check that your hitch is secure and lights are plugged in, remove all items that could blow out of boat during travel and move out of the tie-down area to make room for others.
Erie Arts Festival:
Wednesday Night...Partly cloudy. Cooler with lows in the upper 50s. West winds 10 to 15 mph.
Thursday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
Thursday Night...Clear. Lows in the upper 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph...becoming west after midnight.
Friday...Mostly sunny. Much warmer with highs in the mid 80s.
Friday Night...Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 60s. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Saturday...Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s.
Sunday...Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s.
Sunday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows around 60.
Monday...Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s.
Monday Night...Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 60s. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Tuesday...Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. Chance of rain 30 percent.