June 20th, 2007|
West Erie County, DWCO Randy Leighton, WCO Brook Tolbert
As the Lake water temperatures continue to rise Walleye and Perch fishing has been off and on, as always, depending on who you talk to. Walleye seem to be gradually moving to deeper water with success this past weekend coming form 40 to 45' of water. Loose perch schools are forming off of Walnut Creek and the Point at Presque Isle and East of the Hammermill Paper site in 40 to 45' of water. Walleye anglers are picking up the occasional steelhead when trolling for Walleye. Bass fishing is thriving in Presque Isle bay as well. Lake Erie water temperatures as of this writing are degrees off Toledo, degrees off Cleveland, and degrees off the port of Erie.
PFBC Tackle Loaner Program Expands to Include the Walnut Creek Access Office:
The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission has expanded it's fishing tackle loaner program to include the Walnut Creek Marina Office as one of it's many loaner sites throughout the state. This program is made possible by the PFBC, American Sport Fishing Association and local sponsorships. Anyone 18 years of age or older with proper identification may check out basic fishing tackle. For more information on the program and additional locations that tackle can be borrowed go to Fishing Tackle Loaner Program
Walnut Creek Memorial - Recognition Wall Update from Christie Ferrier:
The Wall and the Sunset garden look terrific. If you haven't been down to see them, please do so..you may even see some folks you know on the engraved pavers. We still have room for you, your family, your friends, your boat or your pet. The 4x8's sell for $50 and the 8x8's are $100. The sale of these and the capstones on top of the wall are what pay for the maintenance of the garden. We are now one of the funds in the Erie Community Foundation so that the interest from the fund will take care of the garden and wall into perpetuity. Think..100 years from now...someone in your family goes to fish or walk at the Marina and looks at the wall and sees his or her family name!!! So.if you are interested, pick up a brochure at the Walnut Creek Marina Office or call or email me before they are sold out. Many persons have used these as Birthday, Anniversary or Christmas gifts. It's a gift that will always be there!!! For more information of paver purchase, contact Christie Ferrier at 474-2577 or email@example.com
Regular bass season for Lake Erie, it's tributaries, and Presque Isle Bay opened this past weekend taking the daily creel limit to 4 fish with a minimum size limit of 15"
Keeping Minnows lively:
1) Rapid temperature changes will shock minnows and will quickly kill them. Whenever possible keep them at the same temperature they were kept or caught in. Add lake water slowly to your bucket to minimize temperature shock
2) When transporting minnows from the bait shop to the boat, try placing the them in a plastic bag full of water and then in your bucket full of water. This will provide a cushion between the minnows and the bucket and help to keep them from
3) Oxygen, Oxygen, Oxygen...If they can't breath they wont live. A small battery powered aerator in you bucket can dramatically extend minnow life. The smaller the bubbles, the more oxygen is being put into the water. Also, the warmer the
4) Ice in a sealed container can help keep your minnow water cool. Loose ice is not a good idea nor is tap water since it may contain chlorine.
5) Hooking your minnows through the lip or tail (not the body) will keep them alive on the hook longer.
6) If you are keeping your bucket in the boat or are on shore, changing the water frequently will help if you do not have an aerator.
Keeping Worms Lively:
Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 50s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s. West winds 10 to 15 mph.
Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 50s. West winds around 10 mph...Becoming north after midnight.
Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s.
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 60s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Partly cloudy. Highs around 80.
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Mostly cloudy. Highs around 80.
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s.
Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s.